So, this is really going to happen

I fell in love with this house the very first time I looked through the front door window and saw the staircase. Somehow on that fateful day I managed to not see the huge amount of hoarding that was happening to the immediate left of the newel post; those spindles and original wood panels were blindingly beautiful. This simply started out with me not wanting to have an eyesore down the street from my house and ended up an obsession.

Every time I drove past "Connie" (yes I gave the house a nickname) I couldn't help but notice all of the broken windows that were letting the elements in to destroy her. I knew I had to do something. I'm not an architect, contractor, or house flipper. How does a guy who works in parking enforcement save a house? I'm not sure yet. My plan is to learn as I go along, but I'll bring you up to speed on everything I've done so far.

The first step for me to save Connie was to reach out to everyone I know to see what they could educate me on. I didn't have a hat like Sherlock Holmes, however, I did become a detective. The first person on my list: Joyce, the mail carrier! Joyce was able to answer all of the important yet basic questions I had. Does anyone live there? Do you have an address for the owner? Do you know of any neighbors who may be able to contact the owner? Joyce led me Gloria who gave me the scoop on the owners after I sent her a letter. It wasn't a happy story so I'll avoid airing their dirty laundry here.

Gloria wasn't a dead end, but I didn't know what to do next. Then one day I came up with the most simple of ideas, why don't I call my City Council Member for help. This is where the ball got rolling. Turns out that Connie wasn't just an eyesore, she was a tax delinquent property for our school district, city, and county. Council Woman Rudiak's office informed me that they were already aware of the property and that they had had discussions that the property needed to be saved and that they just needed to find a chump patron saint to take on the challenge.

So the next thing I know I am filling out some paperwork to have Connie sent to Treasurer's Sale. Turns out that Connie owed $40,000+ and if I was willing to pony up the cash she could be all mine. Sorry folks, I don't have that kind of cash nor could I be certain that I could get that money back if it turned out I had bitten off more than I could chew. My wife also reminded me of this. Frequently. Turns out nobody was interested in buying Connie for the $40,000+ balance due. So it was up to the city to decide if they wanted to take possession of her. If they did I take over the property I would have the opportunity to buy the property for a much lower cost.

So I waited for the official results of the Treasure's Sale to be certified.

And I waited.

And I waited.

And I waited.

Connie was in the October 2016 Treasure's Sale and the official results of the sale didn't certify till May 10, 2017. Boy the wheels of government sure do turn slowly. Now, I am expecting a letter from the City of Pittsburgh offering to sell me the house. I'll let you know how things turn out. Now we all wait...

Comments